Thursday, October 21, 2010

General Conference Notes

To better engage myself in learning from the Prophet, Apostles, and other General Authorities of the past conference, I'll be blogging my study journal. I figure the best way to remember talks, and feelings felt from them, is to document those portions of the Conference discourses that hit me hardest. I'll first be studying the talks that touched me most, then I'll go back through to study all of them.

-"Your exercise of faith in true principles builds character; fortified character expands your capacity to exercise more faith. "
-"A sterling character is converted into worthless ashes when eroded by deceit or transgression."
-"We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want tobecome each day. Righteous character is a precious manifestation of what you are becoming."
-"Neither Satan nor any other power can destroy or undermine your growing character. Only you could do that through disobedience. A sterling character is converted into worthless ashes when eroded by deceit or transgression."
-"Strong moral character results from consistent correct choices in the trials and testing of life. Such choices are made with trust in things that are believed and when acted upon are confirmed."
-"Your happiness on earth as well as your eternal salvation require many correct decisions, none of which is difficult to make. Together those decisions forge a character resistant to the eroding influences of sin and transgression...When protected by self-control, righteous character will endure for eternity.
-"It is nobility of character, that fabric of inner strength and conviction woven from countless righteous decisions, that gives life its direction. A consistent, righteous life produces an inner power and strength that can be permanently resistant to the eroding influence of sin and transgression."
-"Your faith in Jesus Christ and obedience to His commandments will strengthen your character. Your character is a measure of what you are becoming. It is the evidence of how well you are using your time on earth in this period of mortal probation."
-" You get what you pay for in obedience, in faith in Jesus Christ, in diligent application of the truths you learn. What you get is the molding of character, the growth in capacity, and the successful completion of your mortal purpose to be proven and to have joy."
-"You cannot be passive in life, or in time the natural man will undermine your efforts to live worthily. You become what you do and what you think about. Lack of character leads one under pressure to satisfy appetite or seek personal gain. You cannot successfully bolster a weak character with the cloak of pretense."
- In early life I found that I could learn gospel teachings intellectually and, through the power of reason and analysis, recognize that they were of significant value. But their enormous power and ability to stretch me beyond the limits of my imagination and capacity did not become reality until patient, consistent practice allowed the Holy Spirit to distill and expand their meaning in my heart. I found that while I was sincerely serving others, God forged my personal character. He engendered a growing capacity to recognize the direction of the Spirit. "
-"Humility is the precious fertile soil of righteous character. In it the seeds of personal growth germinate. When cultivated through the exercise of faith, pruned by repentance, and fortified by obedience and good works, such seeds produce the cherished fruit of spiritual direction. Divine inspiration and power then result—inspiration to know the will of the Lord, power to provide the ability to accomplish that inspired will."

To summarize:

  • God uses your faith to mold your character.

  • Character is the manifestation of what you are becoming.

  • Strong character results from consistent correct choices.

  • The bedrock of character is integrity.

  • The more your character is fortified, the more enabled you are to exercise the power of faith.


I love this talk! I feel like it was written for me. I have felt a need to serve more, and to be the best me I can be, and this talk offers a step-by-step guide on how to do that! He lists the following as such steps, SIMPLE STEPS, to true and abiding happiness:

UAdd a Note

  • Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His program to acquire the power to achieve.

  • Repentance to rectify the consequences of mistakes of omission or commission.

  • Obedience to the commandments of the Lord to provide strength and direction in our lives.

  • Selfless service to enrich the lives of others.

Elder Scott finishes with this powerful invitation and promise:
"If you have determined to live righteously, don’t become discouraged. Life may seem difficult now, but hold on tightly to that iron rod of truth. You are making better progress than you realize. Your struggles are defining character, discipline, and confidence in the promises of your Father in Heaven and the Savior as you consistently obey Their commandments. May the Holy Ghost prompt you to always make decisions that fortify your character and yield much joy and happiness. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

I pray that my character can be fortified as I strive to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love it, and I love Him for allowing me the privilege of prophetic guidance in my life. This talk was literally an answer to my prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment